Sunday, April 02, 2006

A short note about immigration

I posted this on Yahoo, but I like to keep copies of what I write in one place, in case I have to edit, update, or defend my statements. Here are my thoughts on illegal immigration:

Immigrants are welcome as long as they want to become Americans rather than turning America into whatever country they fled from. That means learning English, leaving the Mexican flags at home, and supporting yourself without government assistance.

For those claiming that the U.S. is heartless -- apparently, we are far less heartless than Mexico, otherwise people wouldn't be fleeing that country to settle in a place with a different language and customs. Let's see illegal aliens protest the awful hellhole they came from instead of the place they are escaping to.

I personally don't think this problem will be solved by legislation -- look at the amnesty Reagan gave, in the mistaken belief that it was a one-time deal, and people south of the border would suddenly obey U.S. laws. It probably won't be solved by a Great Wall on our border, either, not because of flawed analogies to the Berlin Wall (which was designed to keep people *in*, not *out*), but because people will still go over it, under it, or around it, even if it means building boats and using the ocean.

The only way it will be solved (in my opinion) is if the Mexican government has a string of honest, intelligent leaders -- good luck with that -- or the U.S. annexes Mexico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home